- 3 cups (750 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (500 ml) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) canola oil
- 1 1/4 cup (310 ml) milk
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Butter two 20-cm (8-inch) springform pans and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer for about 10 minutes or until thick, pale and triple in volume. Drizzle in the oil while beating.
- At low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk until the batter is smooth. Divide the batter into the pans and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes. Remove from the pans and let completely cool on a wire rack. If necessary, cut and remove the cake tops to level each cake before frosting.